Multifactor authentication (MFA) is a security technology that requires multiple methods of signing in to access your account. MFA combines two or more methods of independent signing in to secure your data and digital identity.
The goal of MFA is to create a layered defense that makes it more difficult for an unauthorized person to access your data. Our district goal is prevent someone from pretending to be you while not inconveniencing you from accessing your data. Depending on the situation, we will use your connection with your device as another factor of signing in.
Four Main Options of MFA Methods
We recommend using one of the three options listed below.
- The Microsoft Authenticator app that can be downloaded onto your Android or Apple phone is the easiest and recommended method.
- Number code text message
- Number code phone call
- Number code email to a non-clsd.k12.pa.us email account
When will I be asked for a second login?
After your initial setup, you will not be asked for a second login while on a district provide device connect to the district network. If you use your district provided device while at home and have connected to the district network within the last 90 days, you will not be asked for a second login.
- If you use a personal device at home to check email and access your files, you will be asked for this second log in of your choice. You can check the option or select yes when asked to remember this device for the next 90 days and you will not be prompted for another 90 days to verify that this is you through a second log in.
- If you use a public device to check email or access files, you will be asked for a second log in to verify that it is you.
Why are we doing this?
The district is implementing MFA to
- protect staff’s identity
- secure staff’s data
- prevent a staff’s account from getting hijacked and sending SPAM
- make it more difficult for criminals to spoof an account
- secure our data systems
If a staff member needs support to configure MFA on an Office 365, please make an appointment with technology services for assistance.
If you would like your phone added to the staff network, please place a ticket with technology services.